This week I posted an interesting question on Facebook to get to the point of the problem for most people. Many are so busy arguing “Sides” right now, that they can’t take a moment to examine their own heart and soul.
The Question was this:
What if there were no “Black Lives Matter” and no “All Lives Matter”? What if you just had to make a choice whether you were going to be on the side of ending systemic racism or not? What if you had to be honest and say, “I want to help fix the problem” or A) “Nope, sorry don’t believe there is a problem” or B “I don’t give a damn about this problem, because it’s not my problem” or C “I’m a racist and want to stay that way.”
If we could just step back a second from arguing about what extremists on both sides are doing wrong… and get down to the point of actually helping people, it becomes clear. Do you want to help or not?
Please do not discuss BLM or ALM in this post. The question is simple: Do you want to help end systemic racism or not? Yes or no?
By asking people to answer with a yes or no, and setting aside their typical arguing about whose side is right, it became clear. People want to help. They just don’t know how.
I believe much of our stuck is not that we all disagree, but that we don’t know what steps to take to fix it. We need to move people away from sides, and onto “soulutions”.
That is not a typo. I do mean Soul-utions. It will take heart and soul on all sides to put down the intelectually-motivated wrath and come together to solve this problem that is destroying not only our country but others as well.
To that end, I have devised Ten Steps to Peace to begin moving us in the right directions. I don’t think this is impossible if we are willing to embrace it. I know not everyone will, but we all have an individual choice to make- Help be the solution or sit around and be part of the problem. The time to act is long past. Tell me what you think of these steps. Let’s discuss. Let’s add more, or better ones. This is intended to get us thinking about solutions and not wringing our hands in fear. I can’t wait to hear you all share your thoughts.
Ten Steps to Peace
- Step One: Agree that we have a problem and that we want to help.
- Step Two: Talk about solutions, not sides.
- Step Three: Be more interested in fixing the problem than being right.
- Step Four: Be willing to listen more than preaching.
- Step Five: Combat fear with love.
- Step Six: Be willing to step out of our own comfort Zone and see the world from another’s perspective.
- Step Seven: Make amends for any ignorance or harmful actions and beliefs from our pasts (on all sides.
- Step Eight: Be willing to make permanent change in our own perceptions, actions and conversations.
- Step Nine: Forgive the trespasses done to us and move forward.
- Step Ten: Embrace each other in love that is action based.
That’s all I’ve got. What do you have to help move the discussion forward? Please share!